The Mohrherr building was built as a harness hop on the Dakota side of State Street. It was later moved, and the building was used as a laundry. In 1918 it was known as “The Scout House,” being the official home of the local troops of Girl Scouts and the first building by the Girl Scouts in the entire state. Fifty girls belonged to the organization and had been in search of a building where they could study and work, Mr. Mohrherr generously let them use his building.
The girls had spent several dollars and weeks of work in scraping, scrubbing, painting, papering and paneling the rooms. Stoves and furniture were placed in the building: pictures were hung, and a library was installed.
On Oct. 30, 1920, the Girl Scouts held a meeting in the building, following Scout lore, every vestige of fire was extinguished with water and the house was inspected Sunday.
On the morning of Nov. 1, 1920, in some unknown manner the small building south of the Mohrherr Blackmith shop had caught fire about 4 a.m. The fire had gained such headway before the alarm had been given that when the fire department arrived nothing could be done to save the burning building, and it was then necessary for the fireman to confine their efforts to protect the blacksmith shop and other nearby property.
The headquarters of the Girls Scouts was destroyed. Lost and destroyed had been the pictures, books, phonograph and records as well as many treasures belonging to individual Scouts. Lost also was the large quantity of clothes the girls had cleaned, repaired and stored for distribution to give out during the winter months to needy children.
History of Girl Scouts
The first troop meeting of Girls Scouts in the United States was held in Savannah, Ga., on March 12, 1912. Juliette Low was the founder of Girls Scouts in the United States. Low was a firm believer in letting the girls run their own troop. Adults involved in the troops were advisers, not leaders.
EDITOR’S NOTE: Information compiled from the Fairview Times.