Do you know what filing a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage does?

The legal name for a divorce in Montana is a “Dissolution of Marriage.” Filing a Petition does not end the marriage right away. It starts a Court process to decide how to split the spouses’ property and debts, and how to make parenting decisions if there are minor children from the marriage. After all issues have been resolved, the Court ends the marriage by ordering a Final Decree of Dissolution.

To learn more, read our brand-new article “The Ultimate DIY Guide to Divorce and Custody in Montana” on If you can’t find what you’re looking for, try our smart search bar. Or call the Montana Legal Services Association HelpLine at 1 (800) 666-6899. Support free legal information for all Montanans at

Load comments