Did you know there is a way to change your military discharge status?

If you received a discharge that was other than Honorable, a discharge upgrade can help you access important VA benefits, services, and care. Or you may feel that your discharge was not fair and you want to correct it.

Any veteran who has a discharge other than Honorable can apply for an upgrade. You do not need an attorney to apply for a discharge upgrade.

The VA recently made it easier for veterans with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) or Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) to get an upgrade.

Check out Stateside Legal’s “Step-by-Step Guide: How to Apply for Discharge Upgrade” at https://statesidelegal.org/step-step-guide-how-apply-discharge-upgrade

If you have any questions about applying for a discharge upgrade, it’s a good idea to talk to an attorney. Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA) provides free civil legal help to eligible clients. MLSA may be able to refer you to a volunteer attorney for help with a discharge upgrade. You can apply online at mtlsa.org or by calling our Helpline at 1-800-666-6899, Monday through Friday, 9am to 1pm.

Load comments